Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 25, 2010

SmartBoard

I do agree with this blog to some extent. During my student teaching experience, I did notice that students were much more motivated to participate in my lessons when they had an opportunity to come up to the Smartboard and manipulated different objects, solve problems, and show their work. My student with ADD/ADHD would particularly benefit from using the Smartboard because it interested them and they would be more willing to pay attention if the Smarboard was involved.

I do believe, however, that this article plays up the Smartboard's ability to enhance student understanding and review processes. In order for the student's understanding to be enhanced, the teacher must first know how to use the Smartboard effectively. The article seems to assume that all teachers are proficient using the Smartboard. In my opinion, the Smartboard will be of no help until the teacher is trained to use it properly. At the beginning of my student teaching experience, I primarily used it as a whiteboard and didn't use many of the applications available. I wouldn't say that my student's learning was enhanced by the Smartboard at this point, especially because it was just being used as a board to write on. Had I been more trained to use all the programs, I feel that I would have been able to accommodate a variety of learning styles and enhance student understanding and review processes like the article claimed.

No comments: