Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 8, 2008

Ch 11

I found this chapter to be extremely interesting and informative. Hamilton mentions in this chapter that teachers are hesitant to use spreadsheets and databases ,and most adults are actually unfamiliar with the tools themselves. I think this was the case with my teachers because I was never properly introduced to these programs. I only knew how to use the basic tools because I taught myself. This is really disappointing to me because there are so many benefits to using spreadsheets and databases in a classroom. I especially liked the timeline idea because a student could incorporate pictures into their timeline, along with hyperlinks that would provide them with more information about an event or person. Of course the use of timelines is not new, but I think being able to associate pictures with an event would be beneficial to a student who learns better with a visual aid.
I think most of the tools discussed in this chapter are a good way to "spice" up a lesson plan. In the two weeks of taking this class, my eyes have been opened to the possibility of using technological tools with a variety of subjects. I am just amazed at all I have learned already, especially with spreadsheets. When Professor Nillas informed us that we would be using spreadsheets all day in class, I was curious as to what she could teach us in this basic,boring program that is mostly designed for financial reasons. I was shocked to discover it was far from basic. I couldn't believe we could actually create interactive quizzes with combination tabs using a spreadsheet. I am so thankful I am taking this class because I do not want to be one of those teachers who do not think technological tools such as databases should not be taught in the elementary schools. I cannot wait to use what I am learning; I think it will make learning more fun for my students, and essentially make me a better teacher.

No comments: